Company: Management Sciences for Health
Posted on: November 18, 2023
About this role: This position works primarily on international
public health proposals for various donors, including USAID. The
Proposal Writer works with the Technical Strategy Lead, Principal
Writer, Proposal Manager, and other proposal contributors to help
ensure that final proposals are responsive to the needs of the
client and reflect the technical strategy of MSH and its partners.
The Proposal Writer will be responsible for drafting and editing
sections of proposals, applications, requests for information,
concept papers, and other procurement documents; researching
background materials related to technical proposals; and working
across the Strategy, Business Development, and Partnerships
(SBD&P) team to contribute to MSH's overall proposal success.
More specifically: Writing of proposals, applications, expressions
of interest, and other procurement documents - 80%
- Drafting: Draft sections of proposals as requested by the
Proposal Manager, Technical Strategy Lead, or Principal Writer,
which may include the situation analysis, management plan,
personnel section, capabilities statement, or past performance
references, in close coordination with the Principal Writer and
Technical Strategy Lead.
- Research: Contribute to identifying and reviewing background
materials to use in writing technical proposals or to provide to
other team writers.
- Outlining: Develop annotated outlines for proposals in
collaboration with the proposal team, working closely with
technical experts, Principal Writer, and Proposal Manager.
- Coordination: Coordinate with the Principal Writer and Senior
Writer to make sure all deadlines for proposal drafts are met.
- Rewriting: Help rewrite sections of proposals submitted by
other writers, as assigned, including condensing sections to meet
- Capability statements: Work with proposal teams to draft
institutional capability statements and past performance
- Staffing sections: Assist other writers in developing job
descriptions, biographical summaries, and CVs of proposed staff
that accurately reflect their skills and accomplishments in
relation to procurement requirements.
- Quality assurance: Check that technical proposals are
compliant, internally consistent, and appropriately address
procurement requirements. Positioning - 10%
- Support BD&P, GHSI, PDG, and field staff in implementing
positioning strategies to strengthen MSH's likelihood of winning
new business, including, but not limited to, intelligence gathering
(desk research), analysis, and information sharing. Proposal
editing - 5%
- Edit selected proposals or sections of proposals, such as
annexes, in accordance with the standards of BD&P. Document
management - 5%
- Assist the Proposal Manager and other members of the BD&P
team in organizing and maintaining the latest versions of
capabilities statements and other background materials for proposal
development. QUALIFICATIONS What do you need to apply? MSH employs
people of passion, we seek those individuals who dream of a better
world. We look for professionals who combine experience, local
knowledge, and an understanding of international best practices.
Please include a cover letter with your application. Specific
requirements for this role are: Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in English, communications, health sciences,
international development, journalism, or related field.
Postgraduate degree preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years of writing experience with a Bachelor's
degree (4 years of writing experience with a Master's), including
at least 2 years in writing and substantive editing of
international development-related proposals for clients such as
USAID; US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; UK Foreign,
Commonwealth & Development Office; Global Fund, and others in a
professional setting. Experience in international public health is
highly preferred. Knowledge and Skills:
- Good skills in persuasive writing and the ability to present
technical ideas in a concise way that is relatively free of
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word and MS Sharepoint.
- Ability to engage with technical experts and use information to
craft easily understood language.
- Ability to take in and process reviewers' comments and other
feedback and make sound decisions about when to ask questions.
- Ability to quickly research and identify factual information
from credible, recognized sources.
- Good editing skills. Knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style a
- Professional proficiency in Spanish or French a plus.
- A love of writing and crafting clear language, with careful
attention to detail.
- Flexibility, tact, and ability to work with diverse kinds of
team members under tight deadlines.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and in challenging
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Self-motivated and capable of taking the initiative.
- Strategic thinker who can work with Technical Strategy Leads
and designers to help develop, refine, and convey strategies and
themes. The expected salary range for this position is: $69,900.00
- $88,000.00 annually (U.S. locations only).
MSH considers multiple job-related factors when determining an
offer, including but not limited to, business and organizational
needs, candidate qualifications, internal equity, location, and
Salary is just one of many aspects of our total rewards package; at
MSH, our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive set of
competitive benefits that includes a substantial vacation, sick and
holiday policies, training and development programs, competitive
insurance coverage for health, vision, dental, life, short-term and
long-term disability, 401k plan, Flexible Spending Account, among
The selected candidate will be able to work remotely in a country
where they are authorized to work and MSH is registered. MSH is an
equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any
employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color,
sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion,
creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or
disability unrelated to job requirements. MSH will take affirmative
action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that
employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, veteran and disability status. In compliance with U.S.
Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the
Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era
Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an
affirmative action program and plan. EEO is the Law - English EEO
is the Law - Spanish Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster MSH
Keywords: Management Sciences for Health, Medford , Proposal Writer, Advertising , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!