Research Technician - Biomedical Engineering
Company: Tufts University
Posted on: March 11, 2023
Research in the Iyer Stem Cell and Regeneration lab focuses on engineering human
pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) to understand and regenerate region-specific neural circuits in
the spinal cord. Projects involve directing hPSC fate, developmental and neurodegenerative disease modeling in vitro, and biomanufacturing cell therapies. We are a small but growing team of collaborative, interdisciplinary scientists and engineers spanning biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, molecular biology, developmental biology, and neuroscience. We value inclusivity and promote creative teamwork as a means to develop innovative solutions to critical biomedical problems and enhance our mission to train the next generation of scientists. We are interested in highly self-motivated and collaborative team members, and will orient your experience in the lab to help you achieve your long-term professional goals. To see our amazing research please visit our website Iyer Lab Please include a short cover letter with your resume. It should detail (1) why you are interested in our lab, (2) your short- and long-term career goals, and (3) how you would support an inclusive environment inside and outside the lab.
What You'll Do
Under the close supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Research Technician will manage daily/weekly lab maintenance tasks, assist in the cultivation of human stem cells, and provide support for a range standardized assays used in the laboratory. professional goals. Responsibilities include:
* Maintaining laboratory equipment, including troubleshooting of instruments, taking and recording corrective actions, maintenance of equipment in working order.
* Assist in the setup of new procedures, modification of existing procedures, update of procedure manuals
* Participate in lab duties maintaining shared lab space and supplies
* Attends mandatory annual training sessions in fire safety, chemical hygiene, and laboratory safety, HIPAA compliance
* Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed i.e., assisting in order and stock levels, making lab stock solutions for assays and culture medium, autoclave trash, waste pick-up coordinator, protocol write-ups and updates of general lab activities
* Cell culture - standard cell culture techniques, media preparation, cell expansion, cell storage
* Molecular biology - standard assays (qPCR), protein and immunohistochemistry characterization of cells and tissue samples
* Specific experimental assistance as needed
What We're Looking For
* Knowledge and skills typically acquired by a BS degree in biomedical engineering, biology, neuroscience, or a related field.
* Wet lab, biological laboratory experience (academic or industrial)
* Ability to work accurately, effectively, within a team and independently under pressure and to meet deadlines
* Ability to manage work with minimal supervision.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly self-motivated
* Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
* Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
* Motivation to learn and grow in scientific expertise
* Ability to trouble-shoot technical issues
* Ability to plan and prioritize work while responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities Preferred Qualifications:
* BS degree in Biomedical Engineering, Biology, Neuroscience, or a related field
* Experience in mammalian cell culture, basic molecular biology techniques, and fluorescence imaging
* Ability to read scientific literature and adapt/design new protocols
* Accurate, detailed data and record keeping
* Experience with ImageJ, statistical software and/or programming
Minimum $19.30, Midpoint $23.15, Maximum $27.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Research Technician - Biomedical Engineering, Engineering , Medford, Massachusetts
here to apply!