Research Technician - Biomedical Engineering
Company: Tufts University
Posted on: March 16, 2023
The Kaplan Lab focuses on biomaterials derived from biopolymer engineering and on tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, and cellular agriculture. The lab utilizes fibrous proteins from nature (e.g., elastins, silks, collagens, resilins) and bioengineered variants to study structure-function from both fundamental and applied views. The lab has pioneered the study of silk protein-based biomaterials with the emergence of silk as a new option in the degradable polymer field with excellent biocompatibility, new fundamental understanding of control of water to regulate structure and properties, and new tissue-specific outcomes with silk as scaffolding in gel, fiber, film, sponge, and dense medical device formats. Recent efforts focus on dynamic protein-based biomaterials utilizing silk-elastin copolymers and on modulating crystallization related to sustained drug delivery.
What You'll Do
This is a grant funded position and is not eligible for severance pay.
The Kaplan Lab Research Tech will assist in the design, construction, and daily/weekly lab maintenance tasks in running small devices and bioreactors systems, assist in the cultivation, maintenance, and expansion of mammalian cells and organoids in support of a range of tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, and cellular agriculture studies, as well as standardized assays in support of these systems that are widely used in the lab.
* Perform troubleshooting of instruments, taking and recording corrective actions, maintenance of equipment in working order.
* Assist in the setup of new procedures, modification of existing procedures, update of procedure manuals
* Participate in lab duties maintaining shared lab space
* Cell culture - standard cell culture techniques, media, cell expansion, cell storage
* Molecular biotechnology - standard assays (qPCR), CRISPR genome engineering, cell engineering, creating new iPSC derived cell types and stable reporter lines, protein and immunohistochemistry characterization of cells and tissue samples
* Attends mandatory annual training sessions in fire safety, chemical hygiene, and laboratory safety, HIPAA compliance
* Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed i.e., assisting in order and stock levels, making lab stock solutions for assays and culture medium, autoclave trash, waste pick-up coordinator, protocol write-ups and updates of general lab activities
* Specific experimental assistance as needed
What We're Looking For
Basic Requirements: * Knowledge and skills typically acquired by a BS degree in biomedical engineering, bioengineering or related field
* Wet lab, biological laboratory experience
* Ability to work accurately, effectively, within a team and independently under pressure and to meet deadlines
* Ability to manage work with minimal supervision.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly self-motivated
* Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
* Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
* Motivation to learn and grow in scientific expertise
* Ability to trouble-shoot technical issues
* Ability to plan and prioritize work while responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities
* BS degree in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, materials engineering or related field
* Research experience in an academic lab
* Ability to read scientific literature and adapt/design new protocols
* Accurate, detailed data and record keeping
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
* Some night and weekend commitments, including participation in the administrator-on-call rotation is required
Minimum $19.30, Midpoint $23.15, Maximum $27.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Research Technician - Biomedical Engineering, Engineering , Medford, Massachusetts
here to apply!