Company: Tufts University
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The Department of Facilities Services is responsible for the
efficient and cost-effective operations, maintenance and management
of all Tufts University facilities consisting of approximately 5
million square feet of space on three campuses (Somerville/Medford,
Grafton, and Boston).
A broad range of services are provided to support the University
campuses including facility maintenance by all trades, capital
maintenance, information technology systems for operations (work
control, asset management, fault detection, time capture,
preventative maintenance), energy and utilities systems, recycling
and waste management, event services, residential facilities
coordination, grounds maintenance and facility condition assessment
and tracking. Facilities Services plays a critical role in planning
for the $30M/year deferred maintenance investment.
Related functions, which require close coordination with this
department, are public and environmental safety and security,
planning, design, and construction of capital and deferred
maintenance projects including major repairs, renovation and new
What You'll Do
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Facilities Operations,
Medford and overseeing a diverse team of facilities staff, the
Facilities Manager is responsible for providing a physical
environment that enables the University to conduct its teaching,
research and educational mission.
- The manager oversees campus facilities services including the
planning, execution, and implementation of best practices for all
aspects of campus academic and administrative facilities.
- She/he will work on a daily basis as part of a cohesive and
influential team in collaboration with other operation departments
that manage campus grounds, capital programs and campus engineering
- She/he also interacts with campus leaders, communicating timely
and accurate data regarding campus conditions and work status.
- The manager is responsible for ensuring that facilities
programs and tasks are properly authorized and funded,
environmentally sound, and completed on time and in a
- She/he is responsible for ensuring that new and ongoing
building systems and MEP specifications are developed and
implemented consistent with university efficiency and
sustainability standards and in accordance with workplace and
regulatory safety standards, rules and regulations.
- The Facilities Manager will be the primary University liaison
with outside service vendors. The
Facilities Manager will assume responsibility for monitoring and
inspecting the quality and quantity of work as outlined in the
University's service contracts.
- The Facilities Manager will provide input in developing the
three-year capital maintenance plan, deferred maintenanceplan and
executes the projects which are approved by the schools.
- Responsible for assisting in the overall operation,
maintenance, and future planning of the various unique facilities
on the Medford Campus.
- Workload includes maintain asset inventories within Maximo, the
Universities asset management
- Will assist in leading a group of union skilled and unskilled
trades personnel in operating and maintaining campus facilities on
a day-to-day basis.
- She or he will work with customers (faculty, staff, students,
and school administrations), contractors and fellow Facilities
members to provide facilities that are conducive to meeting the
unique needs of a first-class graduate teaching and research
- The successful candidate will bring broad-based facilities
management experience, will require previous experience in project
management, the ability to handle multiple projects and a proven
record of leading change, managing resources, and streamlining
processes and systems.
- She/he will be a person of the highest integrity, with a
collegial style that
engenders trust and enables collaboration, along with an enthusiasm
for the day-to-day management of efficient, responsive
- The Facilities Manager will be responsible for Managing
projects for the Facilities Dept from implementation to completion
and the decision to complete the project with internal resources or
What We're Looking For
- 5 -10 years' experience in facilities management including
comprehensive knowledge of buildings and equipment with ability to
foresee problems, implement solutions and complete ordinary repairs
in a timely manner .
- Demonstrated knowledge of building trades including plumbing,
electrical, HVAC, and carpentry
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations related to
facilities, residential facilities in a University setting and
building system operations .
- Planning, fiscal, and forecasting experience with an
understanding of how to keep costs to a minimum while providing
best care for facilities .
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Driver's License.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to foster
effective working relationships at all levels.
- Microsoft Outlook Office, Maximo or other work order management
system, CAD and or Revit, Microsoft Project, JCI Metasys.
- Experience with Project Management.Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in a facilities and/or engineering
- Strong familiarity with one or more Computerized Maintenance
Management Systems required. Maximo experience is a plus
- Knowledge of OSHA guidelines, engineering standards and ability
to manage compliance with all city, state, and federal
- Ability to read blueprints, construction documents, and
- Ability to develop mutual respect through soliciting input,
active listening and communicating, recognize diverse points of
view, and show the ability to give and receiving constructive
- Continued Education Classes in operating and programming JCI
- Familiarity * Experience with research setting particularly
experience with BL-2 & 3 lab environments. Special Work Schedule
Requirements:Flexibility in work schedule required due to campus
related emergencies, events occurring nights and weekends and
special events such as matriculation and commencement
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Facilities Manager, Executive , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!