Company: Tufts University
Posted on: September 19, 2023
This role is an academic year position.Shift: Variable/Business
Needs Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider
managing a comprehensive collegiate dining program on the Tufts
University Medford/Somerville and SMFA/Fenway campus, delivering
high quality, contemporary and innovative food, and hospitality
services to meet the various needs of students, staff, faculty,
administrators, and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our
team provides a progressive resident dining program as well as
innovative retail services, and a distinctive university catering
program serving a campus community comprisedof 6000 undergraduates,
2100 graduate students, and 2300 staff, faculty and administrators.
Residential dining Centers and Catering are open 7 days a week.
Working weekends & evenings will be expected
What You'll Do
- The Assistant Sous Chef is a culinary professional working
under the unit Sous Chef and/or management in supporting the
operation of complex, fast paced and high volume, well-equipped
- They will demonstrate the ability to master cooking techniques
including cook-chill technology, developing and testing recipes,
authentically prepare a wide variety of international cuisines, and
to work with an experienced culinary team serving Tufts
- The Assistant Sous Chef is responsible for preparation and
presentation of a variety of hot and cold foods following
standardized department recipes in quantities forecasted and
planned in advance using a variety of preparation methods.
- Assists with evaluating the daily kitchen workload, suggesting
daily job assignments and overseeing the work of cooks and other
kitchen personnel in the absence of the unit Sous Chef and/or
- Evaluates finished products to ensure quality and addressing
sub-quality production and presentation by analyzing problems and
implementing solutions in collaboration with the culinary
leadership team in the unit.
- Works in all areas as needed while focusing on production and
- Research, develops, test and adjust recipes for all production
- Executes overall kitchen sanitation and food safety practices;
keeping kitchen staff on task and assigning side work and equipment
maintenance duties to kitchen personnel as needed.
- Coordinates and expedites food preparation from the kitchen and
action stations ensuring safe food handling and on time production
according to established department procedures.
- Plans and executes production and presentation for assigned
meals including designing and executing buffet presentation.
- Collaborates with the management and/or unit Sous Chef to
fulfill the culinary goals of the unit by facilitating the
implementation of management initiatives in the kitchen and
exceeding customer expectations.
- Prepares specialty meals as needed in a timely manner, meeting
the deadlines for that particular meal.
- Performs line checks, and fill out all standard forms, service
records, and check lists properly.
- Must demonstrate ability to work under periods of fast pace and
high pressure.All employees are responsible for punching in and out
in accordance with department policy and standards.
- They must be given permission from a manager to punch in early
or stay past their schedule "out time."
- All employees will adhere to posted schedule and all requests
for time off will be granted based on business needs.
- In accordance with the CBA, schedules will be posted 14 days
(excludes catering) in advance.
- Time off requests must follow proper procedure and will be
approved/denied in accordance with department needs.
- No requests will be honored for Senior Week, Holidays, Alumni
Weekend, Commencement, Orientation , Matriculation, or Special
Events during the Academic Year.
What We're Looking For
- 5-7 years' experience planning and preparing hot and cold foods
for service and coordinating the work of a culinary crew in a
restaurant, hotel or institutional operation.
- Expertise or high level of interest in various cuisines and
cooking methods, quantity food preparation and batch cookery, and
general culinary techniques and skills.
- Demonstrated mastery of all cooking methods.
- Practical experience leading a kitchen crew in a logical,
efficient and fair manner, coaching andtraining culinary skills and
techniques, designing plate and buffet presentations and developing
recipes and menus.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of kitchen sanitation
and food safety practices and ability to enforce safe food handling
- A team player who is willing to be held accountable for the
quality of products produced by others, for meeting tight
deadlines, and for contributing to the success of all kitchen and
action station production.
- Must read, speak and understand English and have a working
knowledge of basic food service math.
- Tufts Dining is a hospitality-oriented service provider, all
employees are expected to be customer service sensitive
- The candidate must be ServSafe certificated.Preferred
- Associates Degree in Culinary Arts
- Experience cooking for catered events especially in a
university or institutional setting in a top tier program.
- Experience utilizingcomputers for workand the capability and
willingness to learn the FoodPro software system.
- Experience supervising the culinary work of others.The pay rate
for this position is $23.50 / hour.
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Lead Cook, Hospitality & Tourism , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!