Company: Tufts University
Posted on: January 23, 2023
This is an Academic Year Position. Tufts Dining is a self-operated
food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate
foodservice program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville
campus delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food
and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students,
faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our
team operates a progressive resident dining program for
approximately 4000 students as well as responsive retail services
and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus
community totaling 5500 undergraduates, 1700 graduate students, and
2300 faculty, staff and administrators. Residential Dining Centers
are open 7 days a week. Working weekends and evenings will be
What You'll Do
The Service Attendant will demonstrate outstanding service to Tufts
Dining customers through mastery of a variety of general food
service and hospitality related tasks.
- Will understand and be able to communicate the general
operations of the unit and seek to assist and accommodate customers
to promote a pleasant dining experience.
- Will have an understanding on customer trends and possess an
in-depth understanding of the menu and service.
- Will consistently greet, welcome and interact with customers in
a warm and friendly manner to promote an atmosphere of hospitality
- Will possess a proven ability to independently and accurately
account for meal plan transactions and cash transactions using the
POS system as well as satisfactory interactions with customers and
guests while working various stations as assigned, utilizing the
POS system to account for a variety of customer transactions.
- Will be comfortable switching from working a POS system to
serving customers and working at a food service station.
- Will be knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation
methods of the foods served, especially with regards to the
presence of potential allergens.
- Will prepare, assemble and/or serve various foods and beverages
in a professional manner.
- Will keep assigned food service stations and storage areas
properly stocked. Will set-up and maintain assigned food service
stations throughout service period s and will assist elsewhere in
the unit as customer demand requires.
- Will break-down, clean and sanitize food service stations
according to established procedures throughout the service
- Will set-up and work all food service stations in the unit as
- They will assist the culinary staff with basic food service
tasks such as carving meats, light cooking and food preparation,
garnishing, and food and beverage preparation.
- Will assist with steaming, frying, reheating, grilling,
garnishing, and food display.
- Will execute general cleaning tasks in accordance with accepted
foodservice sanitationstandards that are assigned as part of the
daily unit housekeeping and sanitation schedules.
- Will execute opening and closing procedures and all other
assignments related to delivering an outstanding customer
- Will provide table service and other related tasks for special
events. Will be able to handle cash appropriately, count cash
drawer, deposit in accordance with cash handling procedures, and
operate the department POS system.
- Will receive and properly store all food, beverages and
supplies in storage areas in a safe, orderly and timely
- Will present a demonstrated mastery with minimal supervision.
Will be able to multi-task during peak and off-peak periods to
deliver the highest quality services and will be able to execute
assigned tasks with significant independence.
- Will engage in job specific training and coaching of student
workers. Must demonstrate the ability to work under periods of fast
pace and high pressure.
- All employees are responsible for punching in and out in
accordance with department policy and standards.
- They must be given permission from a manager to punch in early
or stay past their schedule "out time"
- All employees will adhere to posted schedule and all requests
for time off will be granted based on business needs.
- In accordance with the CBA, schedules will be posted 14 days
(excludes catering) in advance.
- Time off requests must follow proper procedure and will be
approved/denied in accordance with department needs.
- No requests will be honored for Senior Week, Holidays, Alumni
and Parents' Weekend, Commencement, Orientation, Matriculation, or
Special Events during the Academic Year.
What We're Looking For
- 1 -3 years' experience in a high-volume retail environment as a
server, sandwich maker, pizza maker, grill cook or in other dining
services positions is required.
- Must be able to count money, make change, and operate POS
- Must have 1 year of high-volume cashier experience and
accountability for accurate cash handling.
- Must possess outstanding interpersonal skills, an interest in
the comfort and welfare of others and must genuinely enjoy
interacting with customers and peers to create a warm and pleasant
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal
- Should be flexible and willing to learn and execute various
jobs as needed.
- Experience interacting with customers and guests in a positive
- Must read, speak and understand English and have a working
knowledge of basic food service math.
- A team player who is willing to be held accountable for the
quality of products produced by others, for meeting tight
deadlines, and for contributing to the success of the
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of kitchen sanitation
and food safety practices and ability to enforce safe food handling
- GED or high school diploma.
- Experience with a POS system and accurately counting down cash
- Experience training employees.
- Knowledge of food safety.
- Fundamentals of troubleshooting cash register basics.
- Basic job-related leadership to more junior staff members.
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Service Attendant, Other , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!