Research Data Librarian - Tisch Library
Company: Tufts University
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The Digital Scholarship Department supports research, teaching, and
learning at Tufts and the Research & Learning division at Tufts
University's Tisch Library seeks an innovative and collaborative
colleague to join us as Research Data Librarian and continue our
growth within the context of our strategic framework. We provide
access to scholarship in different mediums - from podcasts to
information visualizations, to story maps, and beyond. Our staff
have expertise in digital projects, media and critical making,
data, copyright, and publishing. The Digital Scholarship department
is also home to the Digital Design Studio (DDS), a creative space
and community of practice for critical approaches to media and
What You'll Do
The Research Data Librarian supports a range of services related to
accessing, using, and managing quantitative and other types of
scientific data. This position works with student, faculty, and
staff users and producers of data, and helps to identify, develop,
implement, and assess data services to meet the needs of the Tufts
community. The Research Data Librarian will perform the below
- Provides outreach, consultation, and instruction in various
modalities on topics such as finding and accessing particular types
of data, using software and tools for working with data (e.g.,
Python, R, OpenRefine), preparing data for analysis, and managing
and publishing data.
- Fosters relationships with departments, research institutes or
centers, and laboratories in order to maximize support across
campus, including for the creation of data management plans for
- Actively contributes to and promotes data curation services in
Tufts repositories, as well as in disciplinary data
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired by a Master's degree
with significant academic experience in use and analysis of
quantitative or scientific data, OR a Master's degree in
Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or
- Demonstrated knowledge of foundational research data management
principles and best practices, with a particular focus on the
research data lifecycle.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in research
- Familiarity with one or more applications for working with data
(e.g., Python, R, OpenRefine, or others).
- Instructional experience with a range of constituents.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and teamwork
- Ability to communicate with a variety of partners, including
technical experts, and those with limited technical knowledge.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment as well as
take initiative on independent projects.
- Desire to learn about patron needs, recommend solutions to
continuously improve library service, and create a compelling,
holistic experience of the library.
- Interest in and willingness to adopt the Tisch Library values
of Community, Curiosity & Learning, Openness, and Social
- Two or more years of demonstrated experience developing and/or
implementing policies, procedures, or best practices for research
data management services.
- Experience providing instruction to others in data
- Academic and/or professional experience with data analysis,
data visualization, or computational approaches to the humanities
or social sciences. We welcome applications from candidates that
meet our minimum requirements, and we encourage you to speak to
your experience and knowledge - including in positions outside of
libraries - and tell us how it may connect to the qualifications
for this position. Candidates who are invited to interview with the
search committee will be asked to provide a diversity statement in
advance of that meeting.
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Research Data Librarian - Tisch Library, Other , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!