Research Librarian for Social Sciences
Company: Tufts University
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Tufts University's Tisch Library seeks an innovative and
collaborative colleague to join us as Research Librarian for the
Social Sciences and continue our growth within the context of our
The Collections and Liaison Services Department supports the
research needs of Tufts Arts & Sciences and Engineering (AS&E)
academic departments, fostering a culture of information fluency
and targeting outreach for patrons with advanced research projects.
To further this work, we are seeking a colleague who can
complement, strengthen, and expand partnerships across the library
and the university to address barriers that limit access to
services, collections, programs, and spaces as Tufts strives to
become an anti-racist institution.
What You'll Do
The Research Librarian for the Social Sciences builds deep
connections with their assigned academic departments, aligning
outreach, instruction, consultation, and collection development
with the evolving needs of those departments.
- Partner with faculty and students to ensure that they make the
best possible use of our skills, services, and collections, and
will lead the improvement and expansion of library offerings based
on assessed unmet needs.
- Liaison areas will include the Department of Political Science,
the International Relations Program, and Urban & Environmental
Policy & Planning, among other assigned departments/programs.
- Focus on collections curation work, including some work on
government documents. A successful candidate will:
- Create deep, meaningful relationships with assigned academic
departments, developing an understanding of the scholarly needs of
their faculty and students.
- Spend significant time outside the library attending and
contributing to relevant campus and department events, with
discretion to experiment and embed library service in support of
patron need where and how it is most effective.
- Support individual faculty research projects and assignment
design; seek opportunities to offer more integrated, scaffolded,
and high-impact information fluency instruction.
- Propose and lead innovative initiatives to offer instruction
beyond one-shot sessions (e.g., credit-bearing courses as part of
the Tufts Experimental College, train-the-trainer workshops for
faculty, multi-part retreats for thesis writers), focused on
outreach and support for patrons with advanced research
- Build excellent collections in support of Tufts' goals to be
both student-centered and research-focused, including monograph
selection, approval plan management, and database trials and
- As part of the Collections & Liaison Services Department, help
establish clear collections priorities, aligning them with the
research and learning needs of Arts & Sciences and Engineering,
increasing and elevating collections from historically
- As part of the Collections & Liaison Services Department, plan,
sequence, and help lead a number of collections review projects,
moving towards sustainable collection curation.
- Design and teach instruction sessions and offer individual
research consultations that have a measurable impact on student
learning and support both immediate student need and help develop
transferable skills for students' information lives outside and
- Design and maintain instruction materials (e.g., research
guides, websites, tutorials, handouts, and exercises) that
effectively synthesize and demonstrate complex topics and that
provide additional opportunities for self-guided learning.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues across the Research &
Learning division to co-teach, offer effective referrals, and
support our cross-department work.
This position is open to both early-career professionals and
mid-career professionals. We welcome applications from candidates
that meet our minimum requirements, and we encourage you to speak
to your experience and knowledge-including in positions outside of
libraries-and tell us how it may connect to some of the preferred
qualifications for this position.
This full-time, full-year position is hybrid and includes work that
can be done remotely as well as work that must be done on-site
(e.g. classroom instruction and other programming, training, and
collaboration). The person in this role is expected to commute to
campus as needed.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired by a Master's degree
in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or
- Desire to learn about patron needs, recommend solutions to
continuously improve library service, and create a compelling,
holistic experience of the library.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment as well as
take initiative on independent projects.
- Interest in and willingness to adopt the Tisch Library values
of Community, Curiosity & Learning, Openness, and Social
- Minimum of two years experience providing subject liaison
services (instruction, consultation, collection development) in an
academic library or other public service environment.
- Relevant subject expertise related to social sciences (e.g.,
related undergraduate or graduate degree and/or experience
supporting social science disciplines.)
- Experience with large-scale collections review projects.
- Knowledge, awareness, and/or experience working with government
- Experience leading peers in project or committee work.
- Some digital humanities and/or statistical software and
methodology experience.Candidates who are invited to interview with
the search committee will be asked to provide a diversity statement
in advance of that meeting.
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Research Librarian for Social Sciences, Other , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!