Senior Climate Modeling Analyst - The Fletcher School
Company: Tufts University
Posted on: January 23, 2023
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy is the United States'
first professional graduate school of international affairs. Since
1933, Fletcher's multi-disciplinary education in international
relations, law, and business, has prepared the world's leaders to
become innovative problem-solvers in government, the private
sector, and non-governmental organizations.The primary aim of The
Fletcher School is the same as it was when conceived by its
founders in 1933: to offer a broad program of professional
education in international relations to a select group of graduate
students committed to maintaining the stability and prosperity of a
complex, challenging and increasingly global society. The School's
mission remains (a) To educate professionals from around the world
and to prepare them for positions of leadership and influence in
the national and international arenas; (b) To increase
understanding of international problems and concerns through
teaching, research and publications; and (c) To serve local,
national and international communities in their search to develop
relationships of mutual benefit, security and justice in an
increasingly interdependent world.
What You'll Do
This is a grant funded posiiton and is not eligible for severance
pay. The Senior Climate Modeling Analyst Assists the Climate
Modeling and Policy Director in designing system dynamics
decarbonization models for multiple countries by working in tandem
with modeling experts at our partner organization, Energy
Innovation LLC. Participates in researching input data for models
and developing potential policy scenarios for deep decarbonization
in the respective countries. Essential Functions:
- Assists the Climate Modeling and Policy Director and external
partners at Energy Innovation LLC to co-develop robust
decarbonization models for several emerging economies using Energy
Innovation's in-house Vensim-based system dynamics model - The
Energy Policy Simulator.
- Works with in-country partners and other Climate Policy Lab
(CPL) researchers to identify publicly available databases to
source and curate granular time-series data for inputs that feed
into the decarbonization models.
- Collaborates with CPL research fellows and in-country partner
academic organizations to design and analyze policy scenarios to
using the country specific decarbonization models.
- Interprets results from scenarios modeling and synthesizes
results in the form of visualizations and presentation materials,
providing detailed analysis for policy makers.
- Co-authors with CPL research fellows' findings in the form of
policy reports, blogs, and academic articles that identify
decarbonization pathways for achieving net-zero emissions in
different emerging economies.
- Supports the development of new climate and energy modeling
(Vensim, Stella, spreadsheet, Python, R, HTML, etc.) to create new
cutting-edge policy analysis tools.
- Works with professional and student researchers in data
collection and other research related tasks.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion
of a Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years of experience in energy and climate modeling, policy
- Experience with the system dynamics methodology to support both
the expansion and creation of models
- Proficient understanding of how energy impacts different
sectors of an economy
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of scientific and
technical subject matter relating to environmental systems, energy
technologies, and policy design
- Experience working with complex data sets and mathematical
models, including climate and energy systems models
- Interest in, and knowledge of, climate science and policy
- Excellent oral and written skills Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Vensim, Stella, Python, R, and other software
- Experience with full completion of an energy systems model
- Skills in software development process (e.g., Git)
- PhD (in public policy, economics, environmental engineering and
Keywords: Tufts University, Medford , Senior Climate Modeling Analyst - The Fletcher School, Professions , Medford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!